Saturday, November 30, 2013

New York City

Two months ago I moved to New York City to pursue a singing career.  It has actually been a surprisingly smooth transition from my home of 22 years, Lincoln, Nebraska.  God never ceases to show me his love and faithfulness as He has provided new friendships and opportunities here in the city.  


Things I like about New York:

1. The diversity of people.  This was the first thing I loved about NYC.  When I first got on the subway all I could do was observe the people, which was a pretty big indicator that I was new to the city, as everyone else stares down into their phone, book, or lap.  There are people of all different nationalities, and languages.  It's so cool to hear about peoples lives, where they are from, why they came to NYC, how long they've been here etc...  NYC is the place to be to pursue so many different dreams.

2. How easy it is to network. Networking is what the music business is really all about.  It is ridiculously helpful to have a sister in the MET opera chorus.  She has been able to talk to her friends, who know so-and-so and the chain goes on.  In my first week of being in NYC, Eric, a friend from the Black Hills Playhouse this summer, invited me to audition for a an agent that invited me to be a part of this musical demo recording.  I auditioned for a man involved with lots of church work.  I gave my resume to a guy that has connections with being an extra for tv shows and movies... (how awesome would that be?!).  Through my sister's friend I found an incredible voice teacher, Claudia, that I LOVE! She has been able to connect me to some different opera companies in the city. I'm auditioning for the MET Opera chorus in a couple of weeks. Cool things are happening! 

3. Redeemer.  I started attending Redeemer Presbyterian Church right when I arrived in the city.  I heard about it, because the well-known Christian author and pastor, Timothy Keller, is the head pastor.  He is such an amazing speaker! I could listen to his sermons all day.  God has blessed him with such knowledge and wisdom and the means to communicate the gospel so clearly.  Through Redeemer I got connected with a recent grads girls' bible study, and I love these girls SO much! They are so welcoming and supportive and it's nice that we are all in the same stage of our lives.  Around the same time I joined another small group that has more of a mixture of ages, and I love them too! I can't wait to continue to grow more with these communities. 
I also auditioned for the leaders of worship at Redeemer and they were so kind! They said they wanted to help me get involved musically any way I could and said they would like to start using me in ensembles and perhaps solo stuff starting in January.  I'm excited to get to use my gifts to serve the church.  God is SO good.  

4. Being with my sister.  Andrea is the. best. sister. ever. Seriously, I can't ever thank her enough for all that she has done for me in this move to New York. She is the biggest role model in selflessness and servanthood and I have learned so much from her. I love her to death and can't imagine being here without her, and I probably wouldn't have even moved here if it wasn't for her. It has been an adjustment for both of us, but it's awesome to get to have this time together.


Things that aren't so great about New York:

1. Transportation.  It takes So much. time. to get anywhere.  I miss the good old days when I could drive my car and be anywhere in 15 minutes.  Not only that, but I could stay out as late as I wanted because I didn't have to walk home late at night...UUUUGGGHHHHH.  There is no way around this, because I wouldn't want to drive my car here, that certainly wouldn't help any of the frustration.  Although I have driven my sister's car in the city, and I am a pretty great driver, if I do say so myself...It's the other drivers I'm worried about...haha.  
The one good thing about transporting by train is that because there is no cell service underground, I have been forced to read. And I've read some awesome books that I would like to talk about in future blog posts...we will see if that happens. 
In Christ Alone by Sinclair B. Ferguson, 
Grace Abounds to the Chief of Sinners by John Bunyan, 
The Pursuit of God by A. W. Tozer, and 
Lord, Teach Us to Pray by Rev. Andrew Murray.  
My favorites are In Christ Alone and The Pursuit of God.

2. Crowded.  There are so. many. people.  Like woah.  Some places are definitely more packed than others, like Time Square, but it's not easy to find a place to yourself.  It's fascinating to live in a place where everyone lives in an apartment.  Living in an apartment is an adjustment.  I can only practice at certain hours, I'm usually woken up by the toddler running back and forth in the apartment above us, and I just simply miss the luxury of space.   

3. Expensive. NYC is a very difficult place to live when you don't have a steady income.  Lots of people have to work multiple jobs, or crazy amounts of hours to be able to afford life.  In Lincoln, I ate out a lot of the time, but here, that really isn't an option. I've had to learn how to budget more effectively. No matter how scary finances become, God always provides. He never ceases to amaze me.

4. I Miss my family and friends.  Well this would be true no matter where I moved.  I am blessed beyond belief with the family and friendships I have from Nebraska.  So many relationships I will cherish the rest of my life.  No matter how far away they are, they will be with me in my heart. 




2 comments:

  1. Arica - this is my favorite blog post of yours yet! (Maybe your book reading is making your writing even more awesome too? I know that's how it works when I am reading more often) So awesome to get to experience the city/transition with you. Thank you for sharing this.

    Definitely agree with 1&2 of the positives list for our LA transition - so much more diversity. I think #2 might be a side effect of #1, too - because there is more diversity, there are more people who are doing things in your field and more opportunities for interesting connections! Definitely seeing that in LA.

    I agree with the negatives 2-4 - those are definitely adjustments and some of the costs of increased diversity/opportunities/new life experiences. #1 of the negatives though I find has a delightful silver lining of additional exercise, less gas/car expenses, less pollution and more freedom from gridlock! Woooo! I am enjoying my sometimes longer-but-less-car-usage city transportation options in LA for sure.

    Much love and thanks for this awesome blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arica, thanks for sharing! Your comments seem to remind me of my first year in college in Philadelphia - parts were great and other parts a little overwhelming! So glad you are writing all this down. You can share it with your grandchildren some day when you are a big opera star!

    ReplyDelete